This article describes a NIWA QGIS prototype plugin ("REC2") to enable simple upstream and downstream search on the New Zealand River Network (also called "River Environment Classification, version 2"). This plugin can be obtained and installed from the QGIS QGIS Official Plugin Repository under http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml (search for "REC").
Follow the instructions below to add the REC2 plugin with upstream/downstream search capability.
- Have QGIS and the "REC2" plugin installed.
- Click REC2 -> Setup -> OK; REC network will be displayed
- Zoom to area of interest
- Click REC2->Upstream/Downstream Search; and click on select reach button
- Click on Reach on Network
- Click "Search Upstream" or "Search downstream" - the traced reaches will be added as new layers
If you are going to use this, then for a more complete map you will want to do two things AFTER you start the REC2 plugin as described above.